Below are some frequently asked questions about t.co, Twitter’s link-shortening service. How does link shortening work? Links shared on Twitter, including links shared in Direct Messages, will automatically be processed and shortened to an http://t.co link.
Yes, you can use another link shortener like Bitly or TinyURL to post Twitter links. However, if these URLs are over 23 characters, then Twitter will automatically shorten them using t.co. T.co will continue to track clicks for short URLs posted on Twitter from another URL shortener.
How do you shorten a tweet?
6 Ways To Make Your Tweets Shorter
- Use a link shortener. I have seen many people using TinyUrl to shorten their links, and I used to use TinyUrl as well. …
- Use text message language. …
- Drop the punctuation. …
- Look for shorter synonyms. …
- One sentence rule. …
- Tweet an image with the words.
You can shorten a URL by using an URL shortener website, which will shrink your URL for free. There are dozens of URL shortener websites, but Bitly and TinyURL are among the most common.
You cannot opt-out of the t.co link shortening service, because Twitter uses it to gather information about how many times a link is clicked. Twitter also protects users with its t.co service by checking converted links against a list of possibly dangerous websites.
How to Create a “Click to Tweet” Image
- Go to www.clicktotweet.com and sign in. …
- Write a tweet that you want shared.
- Use a Twitter icon like this one or one of the ones on the Click to Tweet website.
- Link the photograph in your website or blog post and voila, it’s a tweetable image link!
Which URL shortener is best?
The 8 best URL shortener services
- Bitly for the best all-round URL shortener.
- Rebrandly for creating branded links.
- TinyURL for fast and anonymous short URLs.
- BL.INK for small business owners.
- URL Shortener by Zapier for automatically creating short links.
- Shorby for Instagram users.
How do I post more than 280 characters on Twitter?
Go back where you typed out the full-length tweet and copy more text. Open Twitter in another tab and compose a second tweet. Type the same Twitter handle and counter, but this time, change the numbers to “2/3”. Then, paste the text, again making sure you’re within 280 characters.
To paste the last URL copied in the clipboard in shortened form, use the global context menu (Ctrl + Menu Key) and select Paste ->Last Shortened URL or simply use the hotkey second Alt key + U.
How do URL shorteners work?
Basically, when the URL shortener gives you your shortened URL, it “remembers” the full address. When other users go to the shortened URL, they will be automatically redirected to the full address. The webpage will still exist at the longer URL—the shortened URL is simply a shortcut to make the link easier to manage.
Change an existing hyperlink
- Right-click anywhere on the link and, on the shortcut menu, click Edit Hyperlink.
- In the Edit Hyperlink dialog, select the text in the Text to display box.
- Type the text you want to use for the link, and then click OK.